Friday, May 15, 2015

My BEST Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

My Hubby's batch.  He likes them well done.
Om, nom, nom...
Through trial and error I have finally come up with a gluten free chocolate chip cookie that rises nice and high like a wheat flour cookie and has a perfect texture inside too.  

Here's my recipe... I hope you give it a whirl!


Begin by placing the following ingredients in your mixing bowl and blend til smooth-


3/4 cup (1 & 1/2 sticks) softened butter 
1/2 cup granulated sugar (for my batch I use organic sugar instead 1 for 1)
1 cup packed brown sugar


Next, add in the following and mix well (I use a Kitchenaid, but my Mom used to use girl power *her three daughters and a wooden spoon)-


2 large fresh eggs (room temperature)
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract (mine was made just for me by my BFF Michelle)


In a separate mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients as follows...


2 cups gluten free flour* 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda


*(I make my own gluten free flour by mixing  2/3 c. almond flour, 2/3 c. coconut flour, 2/3 c. oat flour, and 2 teaspoons of xanthan gum powder to "bind it together" like gluten does wheat flour.)


Carefully add in the dry ingredients stirring slowly until well blended and then spoon in the chocolate chips.  We use 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips in this house


Here's a few tips that will help make YOUR cookies tall and fluffy like the ones above. 


REFRIGERATE the dough for atleast one hour.  If you own an insulated cookie sheet, use it and LINE it with parchment paper. 

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees before baking.


I make my cookies by scooping the dough up into a small ice cream scooper.  Then, I take a spoon dipped in sugar to "squish" the balls a bit before placing them into the oven.  You can of course make smaller cookies and they'll be just as good.  


This recipe makes about 24 of these cowboy size cookies.  It would probably make 36 regular sized cookies. 


GLUTEN FREE flours generally brown faster than traditional wheat flour so check on your cookies often until you have figured out how long it will take to bake these cookies to perfection in your oven.  In my old fashioned Wedgewood propane oven it takes about 10 minutes to bake them, but ovens vary, and newer more efficient ovens may make quicker or slower work of these cookies, especially if you make them smaller than I do.  Check often the first few sheets until you figure it out.

That's all there is to it.  Please let me know how you like them.


Heidi



No comments:

Post a Comment

My email address is whitewolfsummitfarmgirl@gmail.com.